Liam Teague: - Ken “Professor” Philmore Remembered

Ken “Professor” Philmore

 

I still vividly remember the first time I met Ken "Professor" Philmore as a student at Pleasantville Senior Comprehensive School in Trinidad. His charisma was immense, and, for me, it was like meeting a rock star-- I couldn't wait to get home to tell my parents about meeting this legendary figure. He was one of the initial steelpan soloists whose vocabulary I had the pleasure of absorbing, and the passion that he brought to the stage was incredibly infectious. "Professor's" sense of style and swag left a deep impression upon many a steelpan musician, especially the players who hailed from San Fernando (which is where I am originally from).

Though we lost touch over the years (I no longer live in Trinidad), my respect and admiration for Mr. Philmore never waned, and I was really happy to be able to be able to directly pay homage, a few years ago, to stalwarts like Ken “Professor” Philmore and Ray Holman at a ceremony hosted by the Trinidad and Tobago Music Literacy Trust. The magnitude of Ken Philmore's influence cannot be understated, and I, along with many of my contemporaries, will make sure that his work is never forgotten. I offer my sincerest condolences and wishes of strength to his family, friends and his multitude of admirers.

Liam

Liam Teague Presidential Research,
Scholarship and Artistry Professor
Professor of Music
Head of Steelpan Studies
Director NIU Steelband
Northern Illinois University


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A look at the new panyard under construction for Desperadoes Steel Orchestra by Sharmain Baboolal

Dane Gulston - External Relations Officer of Pan Trinbago has resigned

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of Harry Belafonte

Patron of the Arts Artistic Bursary 2023 designed to assist aspiring panists across the Caribbean and beyond

Star Wars: The Mandalorian Theme | Epic Music

When Steel Talks (WST) extends Happy Birthday greetings to scholar, educator, exceptional musician, music director and champion Panorama arranger James Clarkson

About Roger Gibbs