Rosanna Toney - Educator, Composer, Performing Artist and Percussionist - Women's Month - Their Voice, Their Life, Their Dreams, Their Passion, Their Story

  When Steel Talks - Reboot

Meet Rosanna Toney of Brooklyn, New York

Celebration of Women and the Steelpan Art Form

Rosanna Toney 

“It was easy for me to adapt to the engine room through my profession as a dancer; I’m a dance instructor, that’s my ‘living.’  I love rhythm and I also play drums, and through that I said “I just have to play the ‘scratcher.’”  I just love music, I could play the congas, the cow bell, you know. That’s where it [the love for “scratching” in the engine room] really comes from.”

“And my father is also a panist, [back] home [Trinidad]; at the age of eighty-something, eighty-five he still plays pan.  From small, you know, we in to that; he always had us into beating this bucket and ting, beating the rhythm.  He played with Sun Valley and Sonny Roach years ago, but now he plays with a small family group.”  -- Rosanna Toney 

Culture is her lifeblood. The Performing Arts flows through her veins. She’s a triple threat - Educator, Dancer, and Percussionist - Rosanna Toney speaks on her moves from the hardwood to the engine room and Pan in an exclusive interview with When Steel Talks.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calypso’s “Kitch” of the Day

The passing of Gary “Soup” Harrigin

When Steel Talks (WST) extends Happy Birthday greetings to scholar and veteran panist Nyana Price

When Steel Talks extends a very special Happy Birthday to administrator & organizer - Clyde Durant, president of Moods Pan Groove

When Steel Talks (WST) extends Happy Birthday greetings to scholar, director, educator, administrator, drummer, and veteran panist - Matthew Phillip

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of scholar, educator and panist Devon Cumberbatch

Former Steelpan player KEB MO from Compton to multi-Grammy winner

Invaders/Ambassadors - "Nah Leaving" by Christof Grant - Arranged by the late Wayne "Birdie" Kirton