Rosanna Toney - Educator, Composer, Performing Artist and Percussionist - Women's Month - Their Voice, Their Life, Their Dreams, Their Passion, Their Story

  When Steel Talks - Reboot

Meet Rosanna Toney of Brooklyn, New York

Celebration of Women and the Steelpan Art Form

Rosanna Toney 

“It was easy for me to adapt to the engine room through my profession as a dancer; I’m a dance instructor, that’s my ‘living.’  I love rhythm and I also play drums, and through that I said “I just have to play the ‘scratcher.’”  I just love music, I could play the congas, the cow bell, you know. That’s where it [the love for “scratching” in the engine room] really comes from.”

“And my father is also a panist, [back] home [Trinidad]; at the age of eighty-something, eighty-five he still plays pan.  From small, you know, we in to that; he always had us into beating this bucket and ting, beating the rhythm.  He played with Sun Valley and Sonny Roach years ago, but now he plays with a small family group.”  -- Rosanna Toney 

Culture is her lifeblood. The Performing Arts flows through her veins. She’s a triple threat - Educator, Dancer, and Percussionist - Rosanna Toney speaks on her moves from the hardwood to the engine room and Pan in an exclusive interview with When Steel Talks.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A look at the new panyard under construction for Desperadoes Steel Orchestra by Sharmain Baboolal

Dane Gulston - External Relations Officer of Pan Trinbago has resigned

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of Harry Belafonte

Patron of the Arts Artistic Bursary 2023 designed to assist aspiring panists across the Caribbean and beyond

Remembering Lt. Joseph Nathaniel Griffith and TASPO

When Steel Talks (WST) extends Happy Birthday greetings to scholar, educator, exceptional musician, music director and champion Panorama arranger James Clarkson

PRESS CONFERENCE Hosted by PAN TRINBAGO MEMBER BANDS November 9, 2021